Saturday, February 19, 2011

It's the little things...

So yesterday I played as a guest at one of my favorite golf courses anywhere, Holston Hills in Knoxville, TN.


Holston Hills is a wonderful Donald Ross course that has remained as true to the original design as any in the United States.  I could go on an on about the course, but what really separates it from the rest is the consistency of its staff with regard to service.

I have played in the clubs two-day Invitational tournament for the last several years and may play another two to three times as a guest throughout the year...and without fail Assistant Professional, Sean Rice always greets me (with a firm handshake no less), knows me by name, and will usually chat about the state of my game for a few minutes.

I am no celebrity, but every time I see Mr. Rice he makes me feel special...and my guess is, he treats everyone this way.

Being friendly costs nothing...and is worth its weight in gold.

Greeting your guests with a little more than, “Last name?  How many are in your group today”, sets a tone.

Does your staff know your members and guests by name?

The difference in “how’s it going today” and “how’s it going today Mr. Smith” is huge!  

Ever read the classic, “How to win friends and influence people”?  More importantly, has your staff?  

In today’s economy, the difference between a person choosing to spend their hard earned dollars with you or your competition often comes down to the little things.  

Each time a guest or member walks in the door, it is an opportunity.  An opportunity to be memorable or forgettable.  An opportunity to serve.  An opportunity to grow your business or unknowingly destroy it.

Oftentimes, the least expensive touches linger longest in a guest's mind.  

1 comment:

  1. Great Blog Joe! I am reading it all! But had to chose a place to comment finally!

    ReplyDelete