Sunday, February 20, 2011

Free Appetizer anyone?


I turned thirty-nine today and my wife asked, “if you could do anything you wanted today, what would it be”?  I said (of course), “probably play golf”.  

Before I left out, I checked my phone which was going crazy with emails from friends wishing me a great day...and even more surprising was the number of emails I received from businesses offering me “Free dessert for your special day” or “Free Appetizer in the next week as a thank you for my loyalty as customer”.  

What neat offer did I receive from the area golf courses I play?  Nada.

Did I expect something from them?  No, not really but I find it strange that restaurants I barely spend $300 a year with or less send me offers, but none of the area golf courses do, and I’ll assure you, I spend quite a bit more playing golf.

Our customers don’t like giving out their personal information...

We don’t have a very good way to track birthdays in our system...

Then how do other businesses do it?

My course of choice could have been an easy win for some proactive owner or GM if they would have sent any of the following:

“Bring three of your friends and your round/cart is on us!  Happy Birthday”!

“Complimentary greens fee on your Birthday!  Thanks for being a loyal customer”!

“Come into XYZ golf club and receive a free sleeve of Pro V’s for your Special Day”!

Guess how many people I would have told had I received an offer like any of the above?  

It makes you wonder...when margins are tight and the number of rounds played is down, some things never change.


No comments:

Post a Comment