Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Customer service...the amazing, the bad, and the ignorant


The last thirty days (for me) has been an interesting study in customer service.  How do you think your staff would handle the following situations?  

Situation #1...Since quitting my club a few months ago, I have been playing public golf with a few private round invites thrown in for good measure.  A good friend of mine, who is a mini-tour player and fairly well known in town, was my partner.  We decided on one of the nicer public facilities in town to play as a twosome.  

My friend:  Wow, I can’t believe they made me pay full boat?

Me:  Really (it is common courtesy in the industry to charge Pros at a reduced price or free)?  What did they say?

My friend:  I talked to the guy at the counter and he said he couldn’t do anything for me so I introduced myself to the GM and he said, “when I get my tour card, come back and he’ll take care of me” (one of my favorite all-time responses!!!).

Me:  Sweet!  I’m sure this will be your first stop when you get it.

My friend:  Um...I don’t think so.  I wasn’t trying to be a jerk about it or anything, I just thought they would help out a little bit as a courtesy since every other course in town does.  Oh well....

Situation #2 ...a week later, I stopped at the Kinko’s in Nashville, TN.  I had to print a few documents before meeting a customer for lunch and when I got out to my vehicle, I found that my car battery was dead.  I quickly went inside an asked for the Manager.  

Me:  Hello (looking at his name tag) John, my car battery is apparently dead, would you mind if I left my vehicle in your parking lot for an hour or so?  I have to meet a customer for lunch across the road and only have a few minutes before I have to meet him.

John:  Sure.

Me:  Ok, so you won’t tow it right (joking)?

John:  No, it’ll be fine here.

Me:  Thanks, I’ll try to get someone to help me jump it when I get finished.  (At this point, I thought John would say, “Let me help you with that sir”...but he didn’t then or when I returned and thanked him for letting me park at his store?).

John:  No problem.

Situation #3...my wife has been on me to mulch the front yard for a few weeks (one of my favorite Saturday projects), so I called one of the local mulch retailers.  

Me:  Hello, I need to get some mulch delivered not this Friday (which was in two days), but next.

Mulch lady:  Ok, so in ten days?  

Me:  Yes, I just wanted to go ahead and get on your schedule.  I am sure you guys are very busy right now.

Mulch lady:  Yes we are, but can you call back a few days before to set it up?

Me:  I guess (?), do you not work off of a schedule?

Mulch lady:  We do, but that far out I’m afraid your note will get lost?

Me:  My note?  How so (I pressed on curious now)?

Mulch lady:  Well, when someone calls in, we put what they want on a post it note and it gets put in a pile on my desk.  I’m afraid that far out it might get lost from my desk.  Can you just call back then?

Me:  Whatever works best for you m’am will work for me...

Situation #4...I went to lunch by myself in downtown Knoxville at Oodles Uncorked.  I sat in the bar area with a book and notepad in hand and was hoping to read a little before my next appointment.  

Waitress:  How’s it going?

Me:  Great!

Waitress:  Outliers, love, love, love that book.  How far along are you?

Me:  Half-way, and so far a very good read.

Waitress:  Have you read Gladwell’s other books?

Me:  Not yet but I have heard they are great.

Waitress: They are but this one is probably the best.

Me:  Really, how so?

Waitress:  I can’t really put my finger on it, but probably all of the evidence he provides in simple to read and varied stories.  I don’t know, it just sticks.

Me:  Yes, it’s really good so far.

This back and forth went on for an hour in between her stops to my table and others.  At the end, we exchanged our top “5 best books ever list”.  Her tip?  30%.  Not only did she anticipate all of my service requests in a timely manner...she was very engaging and astute with her observations.  Rare!

Situation #5...

I had a training session set up with a good customer of mine and wanted to stop and pick up breakfast for them before we began.  Guess who got the call?  Chick-fil-A of course!  Why?  Consistency, friendliness, on-time orders, everyone likes them, and I love Truett Cathy’s business philosophy.  Wait…one more…they know me by name.

Me (on the phone):  Hey Jason, I need to get an order started....I’ll need A, B, C, and D in 10-12 minutes if you can swing it?

Jason:  It would be my pleasure (they all say that!!)Mr. Sponcia.  So you want A, B, C, and D...and you’ll be here at 7:45?

Me:  Yes.

Jason:  It will be ready sir when you arrive and thank you.

I arrive at 7:45 a.m. and am greeted by three girls at the counter who all say, “Good morning and thank for choosing Chick-fil-A” (funny that McDonald’s, Burger King, Wendy’s, and or every other place you go generally just says “can I help you” with about as much enthusiasm as watching paint dry).

Me:  You people are amazing!

Manager:  We appreciate that Mr. Sponcia, and appreciate your business (what??).

In 60 seconds my order was bagged, accurately of course, and I had to fight them to let me carry the bags of breakfast myself to the car (unbelievable)!  And guess what?  This happens every time I visit Chick-fil-A...

Do you have any Wow moments you would like to share where you staff exceeded the expectations of a member?  If so, please feel free to email them to me, I would love to share them.

No comments:

Post a Comment